- GW Home
- About GW
- University Life
- News & Events
- Faculty And Staff
The Public Relations graduate certificate follows an innovative approach to building professional credentials that will position you to excel in this challenging profession. You’ll learn core public relations skills and the practical application of strategic thinking.
- 6-course (18-credit-hour) program
- Designed for working professionals, the certificate can be earned in two ways:
- Traditional Classroom: certificate can be completed in as little as two semesters; however the usual student takes two courses a semester, and finishes in one year
- Hybrid option: students move through the program as a cohort; the first and last courses are taught in the classroom; the middle four courses are taught online in six-week sessions
- Flexible credentials allow you to apply the graduate certificate toward the Strategic Public Relations Master’s Degree
- Traditional classroom courses conveniently meet Monday through Thursday evenings at the beautiful new Alexandria Graduate Education Center, just blocks from the King Street metro (Yellow or Blue lines on D.C.'s metro)
- Hybrid in-person courses meet at the Virginia Science and Technology Campus in Loudoun County and at the GW Hampton Roads Center, Newport News, Virginia
While the program takes advantage of GW’s connections in the Nation’s Capital, providing our students with an understanding of how politics and government impacts business, technology and communications, the program is not solely focused on preparing our students for careers in politics. Many of our students work at major PR firms or in communications roles with non-profits and corporations, and yes, some work on Capitol Hill or in the Executive Branch. This makes for an exciting mix which our students take advantage of and love, regardless of their career focus.
Please note that an international applicant requiring a student visa is not eligible for admission to the graduate certificate in Public Relations.